Monday, January 14, 2008

NataJane. Hats, scarves, wristgloves and ipod pockets.

Brrrr, its be so cold here in PA, its snowing today and the temperature is falling fast. If your feeling the winter chill you should check out etsy seller NataJane. Her shop has all you need to keep you warm an cozy. You'll find hats, scarves, wristgloves and , recently added ipod pockets. her handmade pieces are made in such wonderful, deep colors, this aspect of her work is what originally caught my eye. heres an interview I did with NataJane, i'll let her explain her color selection, read on and enjoy.

1. How long have you been doing what you do?

My grandmother taught me how to crochet and knit the basic stitches when I was a kid. I made a couple of scarves back then, I think I was about ten or eleven. However, I didn't pick up a hook or needle for years after that. It wasn't until last August that I started crocheting again. So, I guess I've been doing this seriously for about five months now.

2. I really love the colors you use in your work. How do you go about selecting them?

I've always been very picky with the colours that I like and wear. I love deep, rich colours and earth tones. When I started selling pieces, I figured that since I was going to have to stare at it for hours at a time, I would only buy yarn in colours that I really love. I hoped that I would be able to sell things that I loved rather than try to make what I thought other people would like. I knew that not everyone would like each piece I made, but I would.

3. Your shop pics are terrific. Do you take them yourself? What kind of camera do you use?

My husband, Chris takes all of the photos in which I am modeling the pieces. He is a graphic designer/photographer and does a fantastic job. I take the rest of the photos that I am not actually in. We use a Nikon D-70, and it has never let us down!

4. I read in your profile that you also draw and paint. Will you be listing any of this work in your shop in the future?

I do also draw and paint, but I’ve never made prints before. Chris and I are looking forward to having our own gallery one day to sell our original paintings and photographs exclusively, so I don’t think I’ll sell originals in my Etsy shop, but perhaps prints…

5. Is there any other place people can see your work? (website, blog, myspace, etc.)

I write about my new pieces in my blog- http://natajane.com/blog/. I started this blog to keep my family updated on my life, so it is not exclusively about my Etsy pieces, but I do include them and many other projects I’m working on. I also sell pieces in two other online shops- The Shiny Squirrel, and Ninnole.

6. What is your favorite Etsy shop?

Oh- there are so many! I’ve never been good at limiting my favorites to only one, so here are a few of the shops that I always enjoy. I really admire the work of Joseph Blake- his illustrations are amazing. Irene Suchocki’s shop has beautiful, very calming colours and compositions in her photography. The last two are Sara Paloma Pottery, and Venessa Gade Jewelry.

There are just so many more creative minds out there that I could mention, and I am always amazed to see the new pieces they continue to post on Etsy.

There you have it. Many thanks to Natajane for allowing me to take up some of her time and giving me such wonderful answers. Be sure to check out her blog and visit her shop. I can't say enough about her color choices, she has a fantastic eye for color.

In two days we'll have another fantastic interview ready so be on the look out for that, oh and remember BUY HANDMADE!

3 comments:

ara133photography said...

Great interview, interesting questions & answers!! :) Nice!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

natajane's stuff is awesome thanks for sharing it. But what did you do that that poor monkey!?

Alorinna said...

That poor little monkey.

:)