Thursday, December 20, 2007

Whats an Oddist?

Hmmmm, thats a good question.First and foremost Oddist refers to my Etsy shop, but theres more to the story then that. Lets see, where do I begin? I grew up in a very urban environment less than a mile or two from Manhattan on the Jersey side of the Hudson river. In the area that I'm from people speak with a thick New York type accent, I guess its from the close proximity. We were only a 10 min train ride from the city. In my town and the surrounding area the locals would commonly drop R's and replace them with A's. So for example Mother would become Mutha' , Father would become Fatha'. You get the idea. This would cause certain folk to pronounce a word like artist as something like "aahtist", which said fast would come out sounding like "oddist". Since i consider myself artistic and I've been referred to as odd on more then one occasion I decided to run with it. There you have it I just thought I would clear that up. Don't you feel better just knowing?

2 comments:

Barbra said...

LOVE your definition. As a transplanted lifelong New Yorker I can relate. They think I 'tawk' funny down here!

Melissa said...

that's a great explanation and user name!