Friday, January 11, 2008

Stilettoheights. Mixed media collage artist.

I'm thrilled to present todays featured Etsy seller, Artist Stilettohights. By now I'm certain that most of you are familiar with her work. Jennifer Gorden opened her shop in April of 2006 and has had great success selling her mixed media collage art from it. One look at her distinct style and its easy to see why. Her work is both frenetic and serene at the same time. You gaze upon the pensive figures placed in Jennifer's pieces and wonder what their thinking, where have they been and where they might be headed. Along with all this imagery , she incorporates subtle snatches of text teasing at an underlying story that you can't fully comprehend. Read the accompanying interview for a little insight into what inspires Jennifer and her views about prosperity on Etsy.

1. How long have you been doing what you do?

I have been making collage for as long as I can remember really, it was about 7 years ago that I very slowly started to combine paint into the mix along with imagery....even then it was all just for fun I only started sellinf my art when I joined etsy in April 06.

2. Your work is very interesting, can you tell us about the creative process that goes into it?

For years I was writing a lot of poetry, just tons of it...until one day an Ex of mine read my journals and I was hounded with questions about what each poem "meant". I guess it was at that point I started to do more with collage, as I used them as visual poems, I guess the process is still the same as writing. I start with an idea, a story to tell and go from there. The color variation and line work and sections are like stanzas in a poem, each piece has a different piece to tell.

3. stilettohights is such an intriguing name, what does it mean?

When I originally joined etsy I thought of it as mainly a place to sell the comic I was self publishing and writing, that comic was semi autobiographical and was called "Stiletto Heights". The name itself was what I used to call my old house in NH, like that was what I named it, I thought it was funny because all "great homes" in Soap Opera always had these wonderful names, so I named my house that...then it became a comic, then an etsy shop. Also, I love shoes and fashion.

4. I read in your profile that you also write, is there any place that we can see your written work?

I still have some select copies of my comic available, people can convo me though etsy if they are interested...also have a blog which I update religiously (stilettoheights.blogspot.com), I am also hoping that sometime this year I will be selling though etsy a book of poetry/art, and perhaps a comedic zine, oh, and once a week I have a comedic web comic I write called Petite Heights (petiteheights.blogspot.com)

5. You've had your Etsy shop for a while now and its very successful. do you have any tips for beginners that you can share?

I would say just to update as much as you can, a couple times a day, blog, have original ideas and really think of your target audience and find a way to get them to know you. I wish I had more words of wisdom, I really just work hard at what I love.

6. whats your favorite Etsy shop?

There are too many to mention and it depends on my mood, I do hate copycat shops and shops that purposefully mis tag their items just to be seen more.

Many thanks to Jennifer for allowing me to do this feature. Check out her blog, its updated frequently and is always interesting, also be sure to check out her comic, its a fun read. Before i go i would like to congratulate Jennifer, i just read on her blog that she is getting married. I myself have been with the love of my life for over 14 years and everyday just gets better. Heres to Jennifer and her future husband, all the best together, forever.

In two days we'll have another fantastic interview ready so be on the look out for that, oh and remember BUY HANDMADE!

1 comment:

stilettoheights said...

Thank you this is wonderful!