Friday, December 21, 2007

GirlCalledRic


This self-proclaimed sci-fi geek and fan of English culture has'nt had her Etsy shop opened for long, but already she is doing incredible business. One look at her highly original and humorous work and you can see why. Her work is high quality, you can see that she really goes all out with it. I had the opportunity to ask her a few questions and can't wait to share her interesting answers. So read on and enjoy the interview.

1. How long have you been doing what you do?

I have been sewing for as long as I can remember, but I didn't start making dolls until recently. I made a couple of dolls in November for a craft swap, and everyone seemed to like them a lot. I listed a few on Etsy for the hell of it. I never really thought any one else would be interested in them. I've only had my doll shop for about two weeks now, and I'm really amazed with how well-received it's been. I'm flooded with custom orders, and I can't seem to keep stock around very long.

2. Are there any other places people can see your work that you would like to tell us about? website, blog, myspace etc?

I'm working on a blog so I can post pictures of my custom dolls and other news, maybe some drawings every once in a while. And, of course, insignificant stuff that interests only me (probably... I don't know). You will be able to find it at GirlCalledRic.blogspot.com

3. Do you have any other creative projects your working on that you can tell us about?

I kind of want to bind a limited edition of children's books that aren't really for children. Something like Der Struwwelpeter. I already make dolls that aren't for children, why not corner the market? I also have every intention to screen print some t-shirts. I had some other completely unrelated projects as well, but the dolls are monopolizing my time and I need to concentrate on them. I don't really mind.

4. Where do you find inspiration?

British culture (particularly television, obviously). I've always been an Anglophile. People in general fascinate me. I'd also like to eventually make some robots, or zombies, or something. I'm kind of a sci-fi geek. I also have a problem with the idea of growing up. Yes, as an adult you can have responsibilities, but who says you can't have toys or watch cartoons as well? I'd like to think of myself as the head of the Rebel Age Alliance.

5. How did feel when you made your first sale?

I was so excited. It was totally happiness brought on by the validation of my peers. I still get excited every time I sell something. It's like the item has been critiqued, and someone else loves it as much as I do. My customers totally rock.

6. Whats your favorite Etsy shop?

I can't pick just one! I find something new everyday. Let's just say I did some of my holiday shopping at FatDaddyBakeShop, and I hope I get a t-shirt printed by CharlieandSarah under my tree this year.

Well i hope you enjoyed reading her responses as much as i did. I think my favorite part is when she dubs herself "head of the Rebel Age Alliance" i love it, where can i sign up. I wish her the best of luck in the new year and beyond. Based on what shes doing and how it being received though, i don't think she'll need it.

In two days we'll have another fantastic interview ready so be on the look out for that, oh and remember BUY HANDMADE!

4 comments:

Field Notes said...

Very nice interview and good start to your blog!

~ Recycled Ideas

Dharma Designs said...

WELCOME to Etsy and to blogging!
http://dharmadesigns.blogspot.com

GreenSpaceGoods said...

Great interview :)

KMalinkaVintage said...

Very nice interview!