Friday, December 28, 2007

Trollflings

Welcome back people, once again I have something wonderful in store for you. Oddist Showcase will be featuring the work of Etsy seller extraordinaire Trollflings for the next two days. Her hand sculpted pieces range in style from fall off your chair cute to the utterly fantastic. The amount of detail and imagination she puts into her work is amazing. Read the interview below for a little insight on how she keeps her busy shop moving like a well oiled machine and where to go to see more of her work. Enjoy.

1.How long have you been doing what you do?

It will be five years in July of 08

2. Are there any other places people can see your work? website, blog, myspace etc?

There are links to where I sell on my website http://www.trollflings.com
I also have a blog
http://trollflings.blogspot.com

3. Are there any creative projects your working on that you would like to share with us?

No creative projects that I can elaborate on for this year, we will see what happens. I would like to see my trollkids in publication this year because I want everyone to be able to see them, and have a smile or a laugh.

4. I read in your profile that you're a mother of 5. How do you stay organized and find time to devote to your work?

I sleep very very little. I wish there was a way I didn't have to sleep at all. I work until 3 or 4 am, wake up at seven, start all over again.

I am very organized as far as my supplies and tools. I value my tools. Without them I really don't know where I would be! My friend Carie makes them for me so they mean the world to me. Friendship ...

I work really hard on my packaging and it changes all the time, so my packing table is just as important as my studio. I keep a map on the wall so I can remind myself that my trollbabies are all over the planet Earth, making folks happy. It rules. I look up at the map, and think about my children and keep on goin...

5. Your pieces seem very influenced by fantasy and nature. Can you tell us what some of your favorite books and movies are and where else you draw inspiration from?

Oh boy! Well come to think about it, the very first trollfling was a fluke. It was supposed to be a little cat! My husband said "well with that hair, looks like a troll"

and there you have it.

I would have to say my greatest influences as far as being a fantasy artist would have to be Jim Henson. I grew up with the Muppet show. Brian Froud, wow I wish I had just a quarter of his imagination. I hope to meet him someday, just to tell him how awesome he is.

My brother has a lot to do with my sculpting as well. Growing up he could pull any face possible, and some of his old pictures actually end up inspiring my work. I can honestly say he is my biggest fan. I hope to be able to work with him soon, he is a wonderful writer.

My favorite books growing up (and still are)
All works by John Bellairs "The Curse of the Blue Figurine"
Ray Bradbury

My favorite movies are
The Dark Crystal
The Labyrinth
Emmitt Otters Jugband Christmas

I watch them every week like Clockwork.

6. Whats your favorite etsy shop?

http://cartoonpopart.etsy.com

I love this shop because I am married to the owner :D
Yes I am biased. Anyone who knows me knows that my husband is the sun in my sky.

Well there you have it. Make sure you visit Trollflings blog for info on what shes working on and tutorials on how to make great stuff. Just before Xmas she posted step by step instructions on how to make a cool lil' santa elf ornament. Dont forget to stop by her shop even if its just to look around, believe my your day will be that much brighter if you do.

In two days we'll have another fantastic interview ready so be on the look out for that, oh and remember BUY HANDMADE!

1 comment:

Dharma Designs said...

Always glad to read your blog! Keep up the great work feature fellow Etsians! :-)