Sunday, December 23, 2007

misscourageous


There was a time when just the thought of someone destroying vinyl records would send shivers down my spine. That was before i discovered misscourageous' shop. She hand cuts the records to create her own of unique "pop" jewelry. She also uses bottle caps, jar lids and game pieces in her work. misscourageous, who's name was inspired by a song her husband wrote, creates some of the most interesting and distinct pieces I've ever seen. I presented her with some questions earlier in the week, heres what she had to say.

1. How long have you been doing what you do?

I've been creating my entire life. I started making a few pieces to sell at my friend's store about 3 1/2 years ago. It snowballed from there. Etsy is a fairly new venue for me, and I'll be expanding my Etsy shop after the holidays.

2. Are there any other places people can see your work that you would like to tell us about? website, blog, myspace etc?

I can be found Saturdays at Capitol City Public Market Downtown Boise (April-Oct & mid Nov-Christmas) http://www.capitalcitypublicmarket.om/index.php at the following retailers:
Accessorize Mee in Eagle ID, accessorizemee.com
JuJu accessories in Boise ID, jujuaccessories.com
Cinnabar Caffe in Boise ID
Emma M. in Quincy WA
on the web:
www.misscourageous.com
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/misscourageous/
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=835991949
we love etsy: http://etsylove.ning.com/profile/2nuf7slkgoxr2

I'll be starting a blog early in the new year. I'm starting a Boise street team and will be doing a lot of promotional activities.

3. Do you have any other creative projects your working on ?

I've just finished adding a studio in my basement, so I have enough space to work on everything. I just wish I had enough time! I usually have several projects going at once. I'll be working on some new belt buckle designs and new ways of using recycled record vinyl. I've also got some vintage buttons, cork, bike parts and broken china I've been playing with, stay tuned!

4. Your work is very interesting. Where do you find inspiration?

I find inspiration all around me. I spent many years in the cosmetics industry and color & texture have always been important to me. I love the idea of transformation. I've always related to the ugly duckling story, being tall and clumsy as a kid, so now I always look for the beauty and possibilities in things.

5. How did feel when you made your first sale?

My first ETSY sale? I was pretty excited because it was one of my belt buckles which are made out of jar lids. That same customer purchased a second one two months later!

6. Whats your favorite Etsy shop?

I don't think I could pick just one shop, so here's a few of my fav's
dippylulu for gag gifts
bkmhattitude has the most gorgeous hats
pinkytoast does the cutest pocket mirrors
and charlieandsarah for t-shits

I want thank misscourageous for taking some time out of her busy schedule to answer these questions. I can't wait to see the new projects see mentioned. Especially the new uses for vinyl records, I like that aspect of her work best. Hope everyone enjoyed this interview and got as much out of it as I did. Don't forget to take a look at her shop, while your there be sure to let her know what you think of her work.

In two days we'll have another fantastic interview ready so be on the look out for that, oh and remember BUY HANDMADE!

2 comments:

andrea said...

I'm enjoying these. You give a good interview!

Shannon said...

you give great interviews... I've been trying some interviews myself... @ http://shannonsaylor-etsyshop.blogspot.comm